Couples counseling can be vital in providing an environment for safe communication, increasing the opportunity for shared empathy by facilitating productive emotional expression. At Mind Body Psychiatry, couples can be guided to learn and practice communication skills to receive validation and increase understanding. What each couple expects from their therapy session can vary, depending on what kind of relationship the couple desires and how they would like to feel in their relationship. Couples therapy helps in the development of healthier and more satisfying intimate relationships through the facilitated expression of emotions to receive empathy and validation.
In couples counseling the therapist focuses on:
- Encouraging both partners to express what they want.
- Creating a safe framework for doing deep work.
- Learning communication skills.
- Facilitating healing and growth.
- Learning balance and self care in relationships.
- Bringing awareness to co-dependency.
- Building the strength necessary to make positive change.
- Learning how to have healthier and more satisfying relationships.
Resources for Couples:
Non-Violent Communication : Marshall Rosenberg, Ph.D. : www.cnvc.org
Getting the Love You Want (Imago Therapy) : Harville Hendrix, Ph.D. & Helen LaKelly Hunt, Ph.D. : www.gettingtheloveyouwant.com
The Gottman Theory For Making Relationships Work : Drs. John & Julie Gottman : www.gottman.com/about-gottman-method-couples-therapy